Saturday, February 11, 2012

The move has been made!

Today is day five on the farm, and so far I am loving it! I am being bombarded with  information faster than I can process it all, but things are slowly starting to click, but what do I expect, it is only day 3 after all! It’s such a beautiful place and my trailer is on a spot with a view that people would give their left foot for. It’s snowing at the moment and it’s all white and pretty....
Things I have learnt thus far:
How to drive a diesel tractor. The tires on this thing are taller than I am, so you can imagine the size of this machine. It was quite daunting when Dan said “OK, hop on up!” But all’s well that end’s well...
When chickens run, they look like tiny velociraptors, no joke. Apparently when the paleontologist that consulted on Jurassic Park was asked what creature alive today was most like the raptor, he said: “the chicken.”  It makes for great entertainment, especially when they peck at you as you remove their eggs (they also seem to give me the evil eye when I do this) or all 50 of them chase you around at feeding time.
The giant boar still scares me a little, but that’s starting to settle down a bit, he’s 700 pounds of cranky pig with 3 inch tusks! I’m slowly starting to become his friend, mostly based on the fact that I feed him, but I think this will take a bit more than a few days....
On the other hand, the piglets are honestly the cutest things ever! They are sweet and funny and when they sleep, they all pile up on each other and it makes me want to snuggle up with them, and maybe that will indeed happen one day.
Carrie and Dan are amazing! They are kind and smart, as well as firm and detailed about everything. They are truly passionate farmers and are uniquely brilliant people, I already have a ton of respect for them, and know I will learn more than I can imagine at this time. They are planning on giving me a lot of responsibilities and I am very excited about that. 
We are currently planning out the garden fields. The seed orders are in and we are going to be growing some amazing produce. Our pepper and tomato seeds are already being started in a neighbor’s greenhouse and we are going to build four seed tables with lights here at the farm for all the other stuff. This is going to be a hell of a year....

No comments:

Post a Comment